While a majority of states in the country have no school mask mandate, New Mexico’s schoolchildren are still being forced to wear masks, even when playing outdoor sports in 100+ degree heat, according to the group New Mexico Freedoms Alliance.
“It’s not healthy for children to breathe through masks because the reduced oxygen and increased carbon dioxide is dangerous,” the group contends, adding that Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s “recent change to allow vaccinated athletes to be unmasked is not enough; ALL students must be allowed to unmask, regardless of their vaccination status.”
So, on Saturday, July 31, citizens are organizing protests against school mask policies statewide, from Albuquerque to Carlsbad. So far, seven cities are participating, but the list of areas joining in the effort is expected to grow.
- ALAMOGORDO – 2pm – Corner of 10th Street and White Sands Blvd – Contact Ben at 575-921-5650 or email@example.com
- ALBUQUERQUE – 10am – 1005 Osuna, Vista del Norte Park – Contact Erin at Erinmg23@gmail.com or Karen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ARTESIA – 10am – Corner of Main & 7th – Contact Stacey at 575-343-1234• BELEN – 10am – Corner of Main and Reinken – Contact Regina at 505-550-0918• CARLSBAD – 1pm – Eddy County Courthouse Lawn – Contact Christy Bryant at 575-361-7779
- CLOVIS – TUESDAY AUG 3 at 11:30am – Clovis Municipal School Central Office, 1009 N Main St – Contact email@example.com
- DEMING – 10am – Deming Public Schools Emmett Shockley Building, 400 Cody Road
- EDGEWOOD – 10am – Corner of Rout 66 and 344 – Contact Karisa at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FARMINGTON – 10am – Main Street, Grassy Area in Front of Applebee’s, Near the Mall– Contact Lorna at 480-589-3856
- LAS CRUCES – 10am – Albert Johnson Park on corner of Main and Picacho – Contact Daniel at email@example.com
- LOGAN – 10am – Cowboy Chuckwagon Parking Lot, 122 HWY 154 – Contact Tonya at 970-396-2222
- LOS LUNAS – 10am – Corner of Los Cerritos and Main Street, in front of Applebee’s – Contact Valerie at 505-261-2209
- MORIARTY – 10am – Crossly Park, at corner of Route 66 and HWY 41
- PORTALES – 10am – Courthouse on the square – Contact Nicole at firstname.lastname@example.org
- RIO RANCHO – 10am – Corner of Southern and 528
- ROSWELL – 10am – 912 N Main St, in front of Roswell Convention Center – Contact Daniel at 575-937-8476 or email@example.com
- RUIDOSO – 10am – School House Park, 501 Sudderth Drive – Contact Shane at 575-937-4948 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- SANTA FE – 10:30am – Salvador Perez Train Park at 601 Alta Vista – Contact Kristi at 505-204-8261 or email@example.com
- SILVER CITY – 10am – Gough Park, Corner of 12th St and Pope St
- TUCUMCARI – 10am – Corner of First and Route 66 Blvd, next to the old Hardee’s – Contact Fran at 575-403-5758 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If your location is not on the list, the organization asks citizens to volunteer to lead a protest in their underrepresented area. “Select a high-visibility location, and then we will help spread the word, make a flyer for you to use, help with press/media outreach, etc. Please email Sarah at email@example.com to get involved,” writes the Alliance.
The group has organized anti-forced school masking rallies previously across the state, with much success. But as the school year comes right around the corner, the added pressure on the governor is critical in stopping these mandates from continuing.